Sunday, March 26, 2006

Happy Mother's Day

Mad and Marvy Mutti
That's what my darling daughter wrote in her Mother's Day card. 'Mutti' is German for 'Mummy' and as an ex German student (I have a degree in German and English) our conversations often include a 'misch masch' (another German phrase) of English and German words, plus French and Italian for good measure. In our family, we all like to play with language and have great fun doing it.

I am having a lovely Mother's Day. It's nearly lunchtime and I'm not even dressed! My husband made me breakfast this morning and the children helped. He's also cooking a special lunch. The children gave me lovely cards and a CD I wanted. I'm playing it right now.

Today is a day just for me and a celebration of the fact that I have two fantastic children.

They're both doing homework, but keep popping into the study to see how I am and to give me hugs. Even at 15 my son is still very affectionate, for which I am very grateful.

Shop Til You Drop
My daughter and I spent a day in Cambridge yesterday and had a brilliant time. We had elevenses at the Gros Franck (Big Frank) cafe near the station, then walked into town, went shopping, had lunch, shopped some more, had a drink and shopped some more. My daughter is now the proud owner of four new pairs of shoes and some pretty pink earrings. We had a lot of fun and literally shopped 'til we dropped. She is a definitely her mother's daughter!

Student Days
My student days happened over 25 years ago, but, hopefully, they are about to begin again. I've decided to study for an MA which will open up opportunities for living and working abroad. I went to a university open day last week and felt 18 again. It will be a lot of hard work, but it's something I'm really passionate about and will take me in the career direction I want to go. Now all I have to do is get on the course. I'm seeing the head tutor next week. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home