Sunday, March 05, 2006

Grand Day Out

A Writer's Life
I had the most amazing day yesterday. I spent it in London at the London Book Fair with a close girlfriend (both of us are mad about books) where we attended two Masterclasses on writing fiction. They were given by a group of fantastic writers, all of whom were dazzling in their talent.

Margaret Atwood
Best of all, I got to meet Margaret Atwood, one of my all time favourite authors, whose books I devour as soon as they are published. I've read all of her novels and they've never failed to entertain, enthrall, perplex and delight me.

Margaret was wonderfully witty, in fact hilariously funny, in a very dry, laconic way. She had the audience in the palm of her hand.

When she signed my book, I thanked her for giving me hours of pleasure through her writing. She smiled at me and her eyes twinkled. I think she is truly wonderful.

Joanna Trollope
I also loved Joanna Trollope who exuded a warmth and generosity which belied her slightly aloof and supremely elegant appearance. She was just so nice and gave us a fascinating insight into her approach to writing. She definitely has her finger on the pulse of the human heart.

When I spoke to her she was very gracious and seemed genuinely pleased that so many people enjoy her books. She wrote 'To Amanda love Joanna Trollope' in my copy of Brother and Sister.

Even though I know she must have written similar messages many times before, I am deeply thrilled.

Sara Paretsky
Although not a fan of crime writing, I found Sara Paretsy a revelation. She was incisive, intelligent and eloquent. She was also smart and sassy in the way that somehow only Americans can be.

Immaculate in her smart red jacket, she put her jet lag to one side and delivered a smooth and professional presentation which gripped you from beginning to end.

I'm definitely going to read one of her books and become acquainted with her famous heroine, V I Warshawski.

Helen Dunmore
I haven't read Helen's work, but I will do now. When she read an extract from her latest book, it sent shivers down my spine, partly because of her beautiful reading voice.

I hung on to her every word, vividly picturing the scene she was describing. Within a few minutes, she'd made me care deeply about the characters and, when she finished, I was desperate to know what happened next.

I knew I would have to buy the book, so I did. Of course, I got Helen to sign it.

I also learned a lot from her about the craft of writing which I now intend to put into practice.

Life-changing
It is very rare that you have a day which changes your life, but this one definitely did.

It was awe-inspiring and inspirational.

It gave me the confidence to continue with my writing.

More importantly, it made me determined to make more time for it.

A day later, I am still on a high.



1 Comments:

Blogger GaryBBC said...

I tried to find an email address to send this note, but can't find one - so cheekily commenting here. You can delete me once you've read it.
* * *
I hope you don’t mind my writing to you.

I'm working for a BBC World Service programme for booklovers around the world.

We'll soon be interviewing Joanna Trollope about her novel "The Rector's Wife", and I'm looking for fans of the book to send me questions by email to put to the author. I’ve just seen that you refer to Joanna Trollope in your blog, and thought I’d ask if you've read thhis novel, and have a question you’d like to put to her about it. If so, then please contact me: gary.stevens@bbc.co.uk
Our presenter will ask the question on your behalf (or you can ask by telephone).

The programme is called: World Book Club and you can find information about it at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/programmes/world_book_club.shtml

I look forward to hearing from you.

Gary Stevens
World Book Club
BBC World Service

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home