Sunday, January 08, 2006

Easy Like Sunday Morning

The Luxury of a Lie In
There is something soothing about Sunday mornings. It's the one day in the week when I don't have to get up early so this morning I've stayed in bed for an extra couple of hours - bliss! I'm up at 6.00am every weekday to catch the train to Cambridge and even on Saturdays I get up at 6.30am to take my son swimming. I don't mind, though, as I love to see him powering through the water and he is the most fantastic swimmer, better than I will ever be. He's had lessons since he was small and it's really paid off. He's been asked to join the swimming club, but he doesn't want to be put onto a training treadmill. He swims simply because he loves it and that's the best reason for doing anything.

Christmas is Well and Truly Over
We took the Christmas decorations down yesterday, a day late if you're superstitious (which we're not) as the 12 days of Christmas were officially over on Friday. But the children were ill with flu and none of us felt like it, so we put it off. I love taking the decorations down almost as much as I do putting them up. I like things being restored to order. People say that a room looks bare when the decorations have gone, but I think it looks more spacious.

We keep our decorations in the loft, which is huge and full of tons of stuff accumulated over the years. One of my New Year resolutions is to clear it out to make more room. The only thing is, when you start looking, you come across so many interesting things, you get side-tracked! I've spent many a happy hour up there looking through old photographs or reading old letters as the memories come flooding back. It's quite addictive.

A New Rug
We bought a beautiful new rug yesterday, and some new cushions, which have transformed our living room. It's amazing how such a relatively small change can make such a big difference. It looks fantastic and has spurred us on to do things to the rest of the house. Next will be the hall. I'm very excited about the projects we've got planned. It's good to feel that life is moving forward again.

Coffee and Croissants
We have lots of family rituals in this house and having coffee, croissants and fresh orange juice on a Sunday morning is one of them. The delicious smell of the croissants warming in the oven is enough to entice even the children out of bed. Sunday morning breakfasts are relaxed, happy affairs and Sundays are pressure free, lazy days in which you can re-charge your batteries and do whatever you feel like. They really set you up for the week ahead - which is exactly how they should be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home