Sunday, February 26, 2006

Where did the time go?

The Lost Month
I can't believe that February is nearly over. There were so many things I was planning to do and people I was planning to see. Well, the 'things' (such as sorting out my loft - a hopeless task!) may have fallen by the wayside, but people have definitely taken centre stage - quite rightly.

Our friends won't remain our friends unless we nurture them. Even the best and longest of friendships (and some of mine go back 30 years!) need a little tender loving care from time to time.

But it's also a delight to meet up with someone you know you love but haven't seen for ages and to experience all over again the qualities that made that person so special in the first place.

Long live friends!

Maggie's Mum
Maggie is one of my oldest and dearest friends. We've known each other since we were 18 when we bumped into each other in the corridor at our hall of residence at university, when we were both looking for the canteen. Needless to say, we found it!

We met for lunch last week, together with our mutual friend Rachel, also from university. We talked, laughed and felt sad together but never descended into sentimentality.

I came away with an overwhelming feeling of privilege, the privilege of being able to share a deep and terrible pain with someone who trusts you to care and to understand. That's real friendship.

Magazine Mayhem
You can tell a lot about a person by the magazines they keep by their bed. I have a bedside table which is just the right size for storing magazines under - until the pile gets too high! I have three sets of magazines:

Myslexia - 'a magazine for women who write' it boasts.

Well, if you count having to write as a large part of my job, keeping a daily diary, writing lots of letters (considered so old-fashioned these days) and, of course my blog, then I suppose I am a writer of sorts. I also compose the odd bit of poetry.

Reading Myslexia makes my writing feel more grown up and also gives me hope that one day I realy will enter that poetry competition, submit that novel etc ... I never throw a copy of Myslexia away.

She - I've been reading She for ages. They've recently changed the format which I think is much better. I sat in bed this morning and went through the last few months' issues.

I cut out all the useful bits of info I want to keep - very therapeutic. Then I cut out words and phrases that might be useful in poems. They're in a 'words for poems' envelope waiting to be reviewed when the muse takes me.

Psychologies - I've become completely addicted to this magazine and have found lots of useful things in it about what I think is going on in my head. It's been very helpful so far and much cheaper than seeing a counsellor!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home