Thursday, June 15, 2006

Go Faster Girl

Sarah Smile
If you like cheesy 80s music, then you'll probably know the American soul duo Hall and Oates. Their cryalong ballad 'Sarah Smile' is unashamedly sentimental and I love it. I also love my friend Sarah who is a very smiley person.

Sarah came to see me for lunch today. I knew she'd arrived when I heard the roar of her Mini Cooper as she turned into the drive, sunglasses perched on top of her blonde highlighted head, looking every bit the glamour girl that she is. When I spoke to her earlier in the day to give her directions to my house, she was 'having her nails done'. Sarah is nothing if not polished!

But she's also very human with a zest for life that is both exhausting and exhilirating. Sarah and I hadn't seen each other for months, but it was as if we'd met the day before and the energy between us was electric.

We talked non-stop (as good friends do) about our work, our children and our plans for the future but, most of all about the funny things that women say and do. The easy intimacy that exists with a close female friend is very precious and that's what I have with Sarah. No subject is out of bounds, however embarassing or painful.

I could never keep up with Sarah but I enjoy being part of her fast-paced journey. And I'm definitely smiling all the way!

1 Comments:

Blogger GaryBBC said...

very naughty, I know. I just left you a comment after your Joanna Trollope reference in March ... can you help the BBC out?
gary
(You can delete me - I really don't want to spoil your blog.)

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home