Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Olympic adventure

On 9 August, I went to the 2012 Olympics to see the Women's Basketball semi-final between the US and Australia. I was the only member of the family who got to go to an event because of the complete shambles that was the ticketing system. We were among the unlucky ones who applied for lots of tickets early and got nothing. We were then given the option to buy some of the remaining tickets. Still we got nothing. We sat for hours trying to buy tickets that always eluded us so when I amazingly got the option to buy a ticket, I took it. And it cost me a lot of money. 

Was it worth it. Hell, yes!

Me sporting my US gear in the garden.
Go US!
Being half American by birth, I had to support the US team, but I also liked the Australians so I didn't really mind who won. As it turned out, it was a very close call and an extremely exciting match. People who discount women's basketball are missing out. It was thrilling from beginning to end and I joined in with the shouting and cheering from a wildly enthusiastic crowd.


As a US fan, of course I wore a US t-shirt which Lola lent me, together with her US scarf. Comfortable shoes were a must as I knew I'd be doing a lot of walking. The signs were good. I woke to a gloriously sunny day and set out for London in a good mood which was echoed by all the other Olympic travellers on the train. Everyone was happy.

Lunch and an encounter with a little boy
 Having lunch in Cafe Rouge by the O2.
Arriving in London, I headed over the North Greenwich to the O2 where the match was taking place. I had plenty of time so had a leisurely lunch at Cafe Rouge where I met the cutest little boy. When he saw the waiter come back with my change, he commented on how great it was that the waiters gave you money, not realising it was change. I quickly emptied my purse of all my small change which came to a grand total of around £1.50 and asked his mum if it was okay to give it to him. She said it was fine and his little face lit up with a huge smile when I handed over the cash - riches untold to a five year old! His wonderful reaction made my day.

Cable car
After lunch I decided to take a walk round North Greenwich and soak up the atmosphere. I stumbled upon the recently-opened cable car and decided to take a 'flight' as they euphemistically call it. It cost £7 return and was worth every penny, even though the journey only took a few minutes. The views over London were stunning and you could see for miles. That was as close as I got to the Olympic Stadium.
 The cable cars.
Flying high.
 View of the O2 from the air.
 Cable car station. 
After the return trip in the cable car, I was buzzing from the experience and ready to go and collect my ticket. I'd opted to print it out at home, but they didn't email it to me until after I'd left to go to London - so stupid. Thankfully, I was able to collect it from the Box Office without any trouble but I had a lot of stress worrying they wouldn't let me. Once the ticket was safely in my hand, I felt very relieved. 

I headed to the arena and asked a fellow lone tourist to take a photo - I returned the favour. I also bought a programme as a memento of the day.

 At the O2 waiting to go into the arena.
 Me holding up a programme.
The arena
I was in the arena early which I really liked because there was something special about seeing it so empty. The area it covers is huge and made me feel very small, but also incredibly excited at the thought of it filling up with thousands of people. 

When the crowds did filter through, you could really feel the atmosphere and there were loud cheers and shouts when the teams came out. They got louder throughout the closely contested match as the teams were very evenly matched and the outcome was hard to call. 
 Inside the arena before everyone arrives.

Unfortunately I was in front of a loud Australian woman who commented on every move to the point where I could happily have shot her but, like most people who are antisocial, she didn't know or didn't care. I wasn't the only one turning round to see who was making all the noise but in true British fashion, no one said anything. Thankfully, it didn't spoil the match and I was thrilled when the US team finally won, taking them through to the final where they eventually became Olympic champions. 
 The players come onto the court.
 The game.
Team huddle.
Amazing memories
It was an amazing occasion and I shall always be grateful I made it to the London Olympics 2012 when so many people - including my family - didn't. It didn't seem fair that some people ended up with lots of tickets where others had none. Trying to buy them online was a complete farce - the worst kind of lottery.

My Olympic adventure though was brilliant from start to finish. Being on my own meant that I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted which is a luxury I rarely enjoy. I saw London in full Olympic swing and experienced the legendary atmosphere that everyone talked about. I had beautiful summer weather, saw lots of smiling of faces and witnessed an incredible sporting event.

It is a day I will remember for the rest of my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home