Sunday, June 05, 2011

Gerda and Fire and Stone

Lola, Calum, me and Gerda in Fire and Stone - check out those pizzas.
Prost! (which means 'cheers' in German0
Lola, Calum, me and Gerda
I have a lovely Austrian friend called Gerda. We've known each other for thirty years and been firm friends throughout. We don't see each other that often but when we do, we pick up where we left off - the sign of a true friendship. Gerda is an English teacher and makes occasional trips to the UK with her students. So when she said she was visiting the UK recently, we jumped at the chance to go to London to meet up with her.

Gerda was exhausted after spending the day sightseeing with her students so the first port of call was to the cafe at the National Portrait for a much needed espresso. We then moved on to covent Garden where we wandered through the piazza, soaking up the atmosphere, complete with entertainers, until we reached Fire and Stone, our favourite pizza place in Maiden Lane. They make pizzas like no other I've ever tasted, each themed around a destination. I had an Athena which had olives, feta cheese and sundried tomatoes and was absolutely deliciious.

Fire and Stone was buzzing, as usual, so I was glad I'd booked a table. It's always busy as it's so popular and I'd learnt from previous experience that it's always worth booking.

We spent a very happy couple of hours there with Gerda and were sorry when we had to leave to get the train. We chatted non-stop and it was lovely to catch uo with each other's news. There was aso an impromptu English lesson as I provided Gerda with advice on a text she's doing with her students - Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones.


I also gave Gerda a list of books I think she'd enjoy reading with Small Island by Andrea Levy at the top of the list. It's one of my all time favourite books.

When the time came to leave, we parted with hugs and kisses and an offer from Gerda to visit Austria whenever we wanted, so typical of her warmth and generosity. I'm sure it's an offer we will take her up on.

So, as the Austrians say, 'Bis bald', or in other words, 'See you soon.'

1 Comments:

Blogger Leonardo Assumpção said...

Hello Amanda, :)

Just for saying I really liked your blog, I read your first posts... Just amazed with it (:
And besides, I study English, and the reading was a great, interesting practicing...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home